The joint Indo-US naval exercise Malabar '08, the twelfth of the series, was conducted in the Arabian Sea between October 15th - 28th. Unlike the multi-national Malabar exercise in 2007, this year's Malabar was solely a bilateral one. The focus of Malabar '08 was on Surface/Air Operations, Advanced Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW), VBSS (Visit Board Search and Seizure) techniques and Submarine Operations. The exercise covered fighter combat operations from aircraft carriers and combating the scourge of terror through Maritime Interdiction Operations.
MALABAR '08 ORBAT (ORder of BATtle)
Indian Navy: Eight Vessels
• INS Mumbai (D62): Guided-Missile Destroyer
• INS Rana (D52): Guided-Missile Destroyer
• INS Brahmaputra (F31): Guided-Missile Frigate
• INS Godavari (F20): Guided-Missile Frigate
• INS Talwar (F40): Guided-Missile Frigate
• INS Betwa (F39): Guided-Missile Frigate
• One Shishumar Class submarine: Diesel Powered Hunter Submarine
• INS Aditya (A59): Replenishment & Repair Ship
In addition to the Indian naval fleet, Sea Harrier Frs Mk 51 fighters and other fixed & rotary wing aircraft of the Indian Navy also took part in the joint exercise.
United States Navy: Seven Vessels
The US Navy was represented by the Ronald Reagan Strike Group (RRSG) of the US Navy's 7th Fleet which is based at Yokosuka, Japan.
• USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76): Nuclear Powered Aircraft Carrier, Commanding Officer - Captain Kenneth Norton
• USS Chancellorsville (CG 62): Guided-Missile Cruiser, Commanding Officer - Captain John P. Nolan
• USS Decatur (DDG 73): Guided-Missile Destroyer, Commanding Officer - Commander Brian K. Shipman
• USS Gridley (DDG 101): Guided-Missile Destroyer, Commanding Officer - Commander Greg Gombert
• USS Thach (FFG 43): Guided-Missile Frigate, Commanding Officer - Commander David W. Haas
• USS Springfield (SSN 761): Nuclear Powered Attack Submarine, Commanding Officer - Commander Paul E. Savage
• USS Bridge (T-AOE 10): Fast Combat Support Ship
In addition to the US naval fleet, one P-3C Orion martime reconnaissance aircraft of the US Navy also took part in the joint exercise.